Tuesday, August 05, 2008

On the road.... show.

This coming weekend I will be spending my birthday on the road. That is, I'll be traveling to Grand Rapids, Michigan (via the South Bend airport, and my mom's honda civic).
Destination: Antiques Roadshow.
Seriously. I couldn't make this stuff up.
This adventure was the brainchild of my good friend, Kelly, and will be paired with a soiree to celebrate her pending adventure into the world of motherhood.
My mom and I are plotting what to bring. I can tell that she, like me, is thinking only in terms of what would someone else other than our family find interesting. Not that I really want to be on camera. I think I'd be okay if I just ended up on that end segment where people say they had fun and learned that their grandmother's prized ceramic cat was from woolworths and worth about $1.75. I really kind of worry that I'll be stuck in line somewhere, half behind an armoir that they'll film for the show and everyone will wonder why I chose to wear *those* pants to go to the roadshow.

I think this relates to my serious fear of the "jumbotron." At any sporting event with said jumbotron, my goal is always to do absolutely nothing that would draw attention to myself and therefore attract the jumbotron cameras. Nothing. I get stressed when small children are dancing to the music between innings... Cool it kid, no one gets on the jumbotron and no one gets hurt. I even warned Josh early on, propose on the jumbotron and it's a definite, NO. It's not that I am some kind of wallflower, I don't know where this paranoia stems from. So, you say, maybe I'd actually be fine if I appeared on the jumbotron, I'd find out that it's not as bad as I think it is. Wrong. Greek Festival, Pittsburgh, 1998. That's right, a greek festival with a jumbotron. In between sets of Greek dancing, some camera operator thought it would be entertaining to put crowd shots on the screen over the stage. So I sat staring, uncomfortable, embarrassed, angry, with my back to the screens as my friends laughed and neighboring tables pointed. It was bad and the only thing that saved me was that the mayor of Pittsburgh walked in and distracted everyone, including the camera guy. Whew.

So, Antiques Roadshow. I'm hoping for that silver dish I love that belonged to my great-grandfather's late-in-life ladyfriend to reveal its story and be worth a bundle... but not so much that we start to attract attention to ourselves.

1 Comments:

At 5:34 PM, August 10, 2008 , Blogger Hil said...

Awesome. Hope it was a fab time. And birthday.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home