Tuesday, May 06, 2008

ISO: Zero-calorie mid to late-day snack that gives me pep

Two days, well, a day and a half, into Diet Coke-free living and I'm migraine free. I know it's not really a large enough sample to know if there's a correlation there, but I'm letting myself believe it if it keeps me off the stuff.

It's not even the caffeine that's the problem. I believe it to the aspartame. I discovered this after giving up caffeine about 8 years ago (that lasted about 3 years) when I realized that the caffeine-free Diet Coke (I know, I know, what's the point?) was still causing headaches.

I came back to caffeine with coffee. The gateway, I suppose. And, before long was back on the DC. Sweet, but not too sweet, and carbonated. Sweet, sweet carbonation.

I've tried the Diet Coke with Splenda. But, it's just too artificially sweet. Plus Splenda creeps me out. Why are we letting big corporations mess with sugar? For the most part, I've put Splenda on my list, right there with McDonald's and Walmart. Evil, not to be patronized.

So, I'm open to suggestions. Carbonated, flavored, preferably not fruity, although I'd take lime, and zero to very few calories. Any thoughts?

2 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, May 07, 2008 , Blogger Hil said...

Can you get polar seltzer where you are? They make a flavored seltzer in vanilla that tastes like real lives soda. No caffeine though. Wait, did you want caffeine?

That or I make iced tea with honey. No carbonation but it reminds me of drinking at a restaurant, which is kind of the point to me.

 
At 11:39 AM, May 08, 2008 , Blogger marthadotcom said...

two good suggestions, hil! I will keep an eye for for the polar vanilla water... and since I complain that Honest Tea is so pricey, I should really just be making my own iced green tea with honey. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Yeah, I don't think I really neeeeeed the caffeine.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home