Monday, February 18, 2008

"If you've got a habit, you gotta have a job."

I ride the bus with some really interesting people. And, by interesting, I mean people with addictions. Not much that I hear really surprises me anymore. In my first week of riding the bus to work, I learned that if you crush an extended-release Xanax before you take it, you'll get the full rush of the drug... no need to wait all day for the slow extended-release part. Now, if you were also lucky enough to have remembered a tall malt beverage for the bus ride, you are really in for a treat. By the time you get home, you won't have to worry about your wife asking you to mow the lawn.

These are things I never gave much thought to, being someone who's been on the straight and narrow for most of her life.

Today, I heard the headline quote: If you've got a habit, you gotta have a job. Which is an interesting perspective, because I always thought that being an addict meant that eventually you'd lose your job (and your home, loved ones, etc). This is probably a result of the anti-drug education that I was exposed to (the same education that gave me the stereotypical addict image - ie the people I ride the bus with who have visible signs of a long history of drugs and alcohol - and did not prepare me for the fact that an elderly nun could be an alcoholic) . However, there are a fair number of people who I ride the bus with to and from their jobs that seem to be holding down a full-time job to support their habits. I suppose it's a matter of balance. (From what I've seen, it's a delicate balance, that could come crashing down at any moment.)

And, really, if you think about it, aren't most of us holding down full time jobs to support our habits? Mine include good food, good wine, handbags, and living in the city. If I could give any one of those up, I probably wouldn't have to work as hard as I do.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home